by Doug French
Mises Wire, Nov. 1, 2023
Bloomberg reports that price inflation in Turkey was more than 60 percent in September. The 61.5 percent reading was released by the Turkish government’s statistical office. Being on the ground in Turkey for Hans-Hermann and Gülçin Hoppe’s Property and Freedom Society meeting, I can say the vibe was not hyperinflationary. The shelves are not empty and the port city of Bodrum is booming. Professor Hoppe told the crowd Bodrum has grown from a population of fifty thousand to a million for the whole peninsula. No matter the destruction to the Turkish lira, money keeps pouring into peninsula real estate, watercraft, and businesses.
For Doug’s previous articles about PFS and Turkey, see
- Doug French, “The Turkish Way,” Mises Wire (Oct. 11, 2022)
- Doug French on PFS 2012: The World’s Greatest Haircut (Oct. 2, 2012)
- Doug French, The Beauty of Trade at the Grand Bazaar, Mises Wire (June 14, 2011)
- June 21st 2006: Hoppean Property and Freedom by Doug French, LewRockwell.com
- May 30th 2006: Hoppe Talks Turkey, by Doug French, LewRockwell.com
See also other pieces about the PFS here.