As noted in Youtube Videos for Past PFS Meetings, the PFS is migrating from older media platforms to Youtube for recordings of meetings from 2008–2013. The presentations for the PFS 2008 Annual Meeting are now available: see the PFS 2008 playlist. The original Program is also available. A listing of the talks for other Annual Meetings will be made available presently on the Meetings and Proceedings page.
Notice: the audio quality for 2008 recordings is weak. This improved markedly starting in 2009, thanks to efforts from our volunteer videographer Sean Gabb.
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Welcoming Remarks
- Yuri Maltsev, Alexander Solshenitzin on Politics and Economics
- Paul Gottfried, Perspectives on the Role of Religion in American Life
- Anthony Daniels (Dalrymple), The Culture of the Underclass
- Maltsev, Gottfried, Daniels, Discussion, Q & A
- Peter Brimelow, The Libertarian Case Against Open Immigration; see also the print version, “‘Immigration Is The Viagra Of The State’—A Libertarian Case Against Immigration”
- John Lott, More Guns, Less Crime
- Enrico Colombatto, In Defense of Corruption
- Lott, Colombatto, Brimelow, Discussion, Q & A
- Mustafa Akyol, Understanding the Ottoman Empire, Modern Turkey, and the Kurdish Question
- Peter Mentzel, Free Traders vs. Socialists during the Late Ottoman Empire
- Akyol, Mentzel, Discussion, Q & A
- Sean Gabb, The Nature of Ancient Financial Markets; print version: “Market Behaviour in the Ancient World: An Overview of the Debate”
- Philipp Bagus, Do We Need to Fear Deflation?
- Nikolay Gertchev, The Omnipresence of Monetary Policy
- Thomas DiLorenzo, The Errors of ‘Public Choice’
- Gabb, Bagus, Gertchev, DiLorenzo, Discussion, Q & A
- Remigijus Simasius, How to Deal with Bullies as Neighbors? Reflections on the Foreign Policy of Small Countries
- Justin Raimondo, Ron Paul and the Prospects of PaleoLibertarianism in the U.S.; print version: “Libertarianism’s Divergent Roads,” Taki’s Magazine, June 11, 2008
- Robert Groezinger, European Reactions to the Ron Paul Phenomenon
- Simasius, Raimondo, Groezinger, Discussion, Q & A
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Reflections on the Origin of the State; see also the print version, “Reflections on the Origin and the Stability of the State“
- David Gordon, Is the Existence of the State Proof of Market Failure?
- Hoppe, Gordon, Discussion, Q & A
Those interested in attending future meetings should contact Dr. Hoppe or Mr. Thomas Jacob (firstname.lastname@example.org) (Administrative Secretary/Membership), regarding conditions, availability, and requirements.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Property and Freedom Society (Facebook page) was established in May, 2006 at the initiative of world-renowned libertarian philosopher and Austrian economist Hans-Hermann Hoppe. The Inaugural Meeting and subsequent annual meetings have been held at the Hotel Karia Princess in Bodrum, Turkey. Programmes and video of previous presentations are available here.
The PFS is an international society for the promotion of “Austro-Libertarianism,” the economic and social philosophy most prominently represented during the 20th century by the Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises and his leading American student Murray N. Rothbard, and tying back to the 19th century French economists Frederic Bastiat and Gustave de Molinari. As such, the PFS stands for an uncompromising intellectual radicalism: for justly acquired private property, freedom of contract, freedom of association—which logically implies the right to not associate with, or to discriminate against—anyone in one’s personal and business relations—and unconditional free trade. It condemns imperialism and militarism and their fomenters, and champions peace.
In the words of Professor Hoppe in 2010, at the Fifth Annual Meeting:
After the first meeting, 5 years ago, here at the Karia Princess, my plan became more specific still. Inspired by the charm of the place and its beautiful garden, I decided to adopt the model of a salon for the Property And Freedom Society and its meetings. The dictionary defines a salon as “a gathering of intellectual, social, political, and cultural elites under the roof of an inspiring hostess or host, partly to amuse one another and partly to refine their taste and increase their knowledge through conversation.” Take the “political” out of this definition—and there you have it what I have tried to accomplish for the last few years, together with Gülcin, my wife and fellow Misesian, without whose support none of this would be possible: to be hostess and host to a grand and extended annual salon, and to make it, with your help, the most attractive and illustrious salon there is. [Video here and streamed below]
For further information, see:
- PFS, History and Principles
- Hoppe, The Property And Freedom Society—Reflections After Five Years, The Libertarian Standard (June 10, 2010)
- Hoppe, The Role of the Property and Freedom Society in a Crazy World (May 21, 2009, Property and Freedom Society 2009 Annual Meeting Introductory Speech, Bodrum, Turkey)
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe & Gulcin Imre Hoppe, 2006–2015: PFS, Now and Then
- Sean Gabb, 10 Years of PFS
♠ ♠ ♠
For further information about the PFS and its previous meetings, see the Press & Offsite Material page, and various articles such as:
- Martland: The Only Conference Worth Attending: A Personal Account of the 11th Conference of the Property & Freedom Society (Sept. 10, 2016)
- Gabb: Notes from the Eleventh  Conference of the Property and Freedom Society (Sept. 7, 2016)
- Sean Ring: The Chief Event (Oct. 4, 2012)
- Andy Duncan: Inside the conspiracy: Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, Turkey, 2012 (Oct. 3, 2012)
- Doug French on PFS 2012: The World’s Greatest Haircut (Oct. 2, 2012)
- Jeff Tucker on PFS 2012: The Center of the Conspiracy (Sep. 29, 2012)
- June 8, 2011: “Outside the Asylum: Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, Turkey, 2011,” by Andy Duncan, Cobden Centre (republished as “A Few Days outside the Asylum,” Mises Daily, June 15, 2011)
- June 17, 2010: “Reflections on the 2010 Conference of the Property and Freedom Society,” by Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary, Issue Number 194
- June 16, 2010: “Bodrum Days and Nights: The Fifth Annual Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society: A Partial Report,” Stephan Kinsella, The Libertarian Standard
- July 4, 2008: “The Third Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, May 2008: A Brief Record,” Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary No. 173
- June 4th 2007: Report on the second PFS conference in Bodrum [local copy], by Rahim Taghizadegan, liberty.li (in German)
- June 21st 2006: Hoppean Property and Freedom by Doug French,LewRockwell.com
- June 14th 2006: The Inaugural Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society: An Incidental Record, by Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary, Issue Number 148