The 2016 Annual Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society will be held from Thursday, September 1, 2016, to Tuesday, September 6, 2016, in Bodrum, Turkey, at the Hotel Karia Princess. (N.B. the meeting will be held slightly earlier than in recent years, in order not to conflict with a major moving Muslim holiday.) Those interested in attending should contact Dr. Hoppe or Mr. Jay Baykal (email@example.com) (Administrative Secretary/Membership), regarding conditions, availability, and requirements.
The initial list of speakers and topics is as follows:
- Walter Block, “Market Failure” – Fact or Fiction?
- Doug Casey, on prospecting the world’s regions;
- Anthony Daniels (Theodore Dalrymple), on bogus illnesses and their enablers;
- Thomas DiLorenzo, on the neo-conservative myth of strong-but-limited government;
- David Dürr, on how to take the State to court;
- Sean Gabb, on Margaret Thatcher as a British disaster;
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe, on the ethics of argumentation;
- Daniel Model (Model Holding), on the hardship of doing business in Switzerland;
- Olivier Richard, on free and compulsory education;
- Heiner Rindermann, on the cognitive and cultural “enrichment” of contemporary Europe by immigration;
- Gerd Schultze-Rhonhof, on the many fathers of World War II;
- Norman Stone, on politics and religion;
- Rahim Taghizadegan, on the rise and fall of the university;
- Peter Thiel, In Praise of Free Market Monopoly;
- Peter Wong (Lion Rock Institute), on the past, present and future of the communist party of China;
- and more ….
Further information about speakers and topics will be released in due course.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Property and Freedom Society (Facebook page) was established in May, 2006 at the initiative of world-renowned libertarian philosopher and Austrian economist Hans-Hermann Hoppe. The Inaugural Meeting and subsequent annual meetings have been held at the Hotel Karia Princess in Bodrum, Turkey. Programmes and video of previous presentations are available here.
The PFS is an international society for the promotion of “Austro-Libertarianism,” the economic and social philosophy most prominently represented during the 20th century by the Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises and his leading American student Murray N. Rothbard, and tying back to the 19th century French economists Frederic Bastiat and Gustave de Molinari. As such, the PFS stands for an uncompromising intellectual radicalism: for justly acquired private property, freedom of contract, freedom of association—which logically implies the right to not associate with, or to discriminate against—anyone in one’s personal and business relations—and unconditional free trade. It condemns imperialism and militarism and their fomenters, and champions peace.
In the words of Professor Hoppe in 2010, at the Fifth Annual Meeting:
After the first meeting, 5 years ago, here at the Karia Princess, my plan became more specific still. Inspired by the charm of the place and its beautiful garden, I decided to adopt the model of a salon for the Property And Freedom Society and its meetings. The dictionary defines a salon as “a gathering of intellectual, social, political, and cultural elites under the roof of an inspiring hostess or host, partly to amuse one another and partly to refine their taste and increase their knowledge through conversation.” Take the “political” out of this definition—and there you have it what I have tried to accomplish for the last few years, together with Gülcin, my wife and fellow Misesian, without whose support none of this would be possible: to be hostess and host to a grand and extended annual salon, and to make it, with your help, the most attractive and illustrious salon there is. [Video here and streamed below]
For further information, see:
- PFS, History and Principles
- Hoppe, The Property And Freedom Society—Reflections After Five Years, The Libertarian Standard (June 10, 2010)
- Hoppe, The Role of the Property and Freedom Society in a Crazy World (May 21, 2009, Property and Freedom Society 2009 Annual Meeting Introductory Speech, Bodrum, Turkey)
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe & Gulcin Imre Hoppe, 2006–2015: PFS, Now and Then
- Sean Gabb, 10 Years of PFS
PFS 2010 – Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Welcoming Remarks. The PFS – After Five Years from Sean Gabb on Vimeo.
♠ ♠ ♠
For further information about the PFS and its previous meetings, see the Press & Offsite Material page, and various articles such as:
- Sean Ring: The Chief Event (Oct. 4, 2012)
- Andy Duncan: Inside the conspiracy: Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, Turkey, 2012 (Oct. 3, 2012)
- Doug French on PFS 2012: The World’s Greatest Haircut (Oct. 2, 2012)
- Jeff Tucker on PFS 2012: The Center of the Conspiracy (Sep. 29, 2012)
- June 8, 2011: “Outside the Asylum: Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, Turkey, 2011,” by Andy Duncan, Cobden Centre (republished as “A Few Days outside the Asylum,” Mises Daily, June 15, 2011)
- June 17, 2010: “Reflections on the 2010 Conference of the Property and Freedom Society,” by Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary, Issue Number 194
- June 16, 2010: “Bodrum Days and Nights: The Fifth Annual Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society: A Partial Report,” Stephan Kinsella, The Libertarian Standard
- July 4, 2008: “The Third Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society, Bodrum, May 2008: A Brief Record,” Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary No. 173
- June 4th 2007: Report on the second PFS conference in Bodrum [local copy], by Rahim Taghizadegan, liberty.li (in German)
- June 21st 2006: Hoppean Property and Freedom by Doug French,LewRockwell.com
- June 14th 2006: The Inaugural Meeting of the Property and Freedom Society: An Incidental Record, by Sean Gabb, Free Life Commentary, Issue Number 148